Many “go to church” for a directed Sunday “service” performed by the “anointed” few in an odd building where they:
- Sit in regimented rows;
- Listen to a monologue “sermon” by “the Pastor”; and
- Are entertained by a staged “worship” band.
Some, however, “are the church” as they unassumingly gather in homes and other hospitable places where life naturally happens to participate together through:
- Shared teachings with dialogue and discussion;
- Spontaneous songs and diverse gifts that arise from among them; and
- Other involvement by each and every one through active ministry “one to another”, including diverse elders, as a functional community.
What “church”, do you think, looks more like the New Testament?